Guide to Senior Care Resources in Syracuse/ Central Square
Get Cost of Care Information
Central NY, Syracuse Area Senior Resources
The Oswego County Office for the Aging (OFA) helps seniors through directly provided services such as case management, insurance counseling, the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), and outreach. Services contracted to other agencies and funded through OFA include: senior nutrition service, transportation, legal services, health promotion, personal care aides and housekeeper chore aides.
There are no fees for most OFA services. Voluntary contributions are suggested and gladly accepted. Programs are funded by federal, state and county grants through the NYS Office for the Aging and the Oswego County Office for the Aging, sponsored by Oswego County Government.
- Language Interpretive Services Available.
- Outreach Program - Staff outreach into the community to locate those who are unaware of available services. Staff can make visits to those who are homebound due to poor health or lack of transportation.
- Senior Nutrition Program – Eligible participants are provided meals for the more rural, isolated elderly in the county through the Home Delivered Meals Program or may attend a congregate meal site (Senior Dining and Activity Center) located at 8 sites throughout the County.
- Transportation – Participants of our Senior Dining and Activity Centers are eligible for transportation to sites and shopping.
- Legal Referral – Residents 60+ years old can be referred to a local attorney through our legal referral program. Seniors can obtain information, guidance and legal representation, dependent on whether or not a legal problem exists.
- Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) Provides unbiased health insurance and prescription insurance counseling for those who are Medicare eligible.
- Home Care Program – Provides (under Subcontract) in-home care (personal care and/or housekeeper chore) services for those 60+ years old who require assistance to remain in their own homes. Participation in the program may be required to pay a percentage of the cost of service, or make contributions.
- Caregiver Services Program - Provide caregivers with much-needed support. Caregiver services are vital to keeping older people in their homes.
Senior Citizen Clubs:
- There is a long list of Senior Citizen Clubs throughout Oswego County. For information on this list, contact the Office for the Aging at 349-3484.
New York State Senior Citizen Hotline:
Gives state and local information and referral about service for the aging. Information is provided on local Offices for the aging, energy, housing, legal problems, tax, transportation, employment, nutrition, in-home services, health care, and benefit programs. Callers also receive information on state publications and forms.
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. After hours and on holidays, callers can leave a message with name, area code and county. Calls will be returned as soon as possible.
Comfortable ~ Caring ~ Convenient
Certified Medicaid Transport Provider. All Vehicles Wheelchair-Accessible! Service Animals Welcome!
All Drivers NYS DOT-DMV Trained and Licensed.
Non-Emergency Medical Transportation - Transportation to and from medical appointments for individuals deemed eligible under Oswego County's Medicaid Program.
Call-N-Ride Curb-to-curb transportation for the Elderly and Persons with Special Needs for medical, social or personal business within Oswego County.
Medicaid Transportation - OCO is a certified provider of Medicaid transportation. When you call the regional coordination office (1-855-733-9395) to schedule your Medicaid transport, be sure to ask for Oswego County Opportunities to provide your ride.
Office for Aging
421 Montgomery Street
10th Floor Civic Center Syracuse, New York 13202
United We Ride is supported by the New York State Department of Transportation, the New York State Office for Aging and the Onondaga County Office for Aging in cooperation with the Syracuse Metropolitan Transportation Council (SMTC.)
The SMTC is the state-designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) responsible for administering continuous and comprehension transportation planning for this region. Mission Statement: "Create and coordinate safe and affordable transportation options in Onondaga County for older adults and persons with disabilities of any age in order to improve and sustain quality of life."
Transportation is one of the most pressing issues for seniors.
Having, or not having, the ability to get to places one wants to (grocery shopping) or at times needs to (doctor appointments) is a real difference maker. Whether someone lives located in an urban, suburban or rural area presents different challenges unique to that type of location.
The Onondaga County Office for Aging provides funding, through United We Ride, for transportation services to residents of Onondaga County age 60 or older and persons with disabilities.
In order to maintain the highest level of service, the Office for Aging mails periodic evaluations to our United We Ride participants. Here are a few quotes:
“It is so helpful to now have transportation services to the rural areas of Onondaga County. I can finally get to my Doctor’s appointments affordably.”
“Every single one of the drivers I’ve had has been friendly and helpful and it’s so easy to reserve a ride in advance.”
“I strongly depend on United We Ride services. I’m in a wheelchair and my children are employed and I can’t jeopardize their jobs by asking them for a ride.”
The United We Ride Coalition Providers Include:
Huntington Family Centers
Jordan-Elbridge Transportation (JET)
Minoa Bridgeport Kirkville Area Ecumenical Council
Salvation Army Syracuse Area Services
Southwest Community Center a Syracuse Model Neighborhood Facility
Syracuse Dunbar Center
Syracuse Northeast Community Center
Westcott Community Center
The Meals on Wheels (MOW) agencies provide home-delivered meals (hot lunch and cold dinner) to people of ALL ages that are unable to prepare their own meals due to an illness or injury. All programs provide meals on a private basis. Onondaga County Department of Aging authorizes meals for eligible older individuals who homebound.
Participants are asked to voluntarily contribute $4.00 for two meals or $4.50 for two Kosher meals. Any contribution is gratefully accepted; no client is turned away due to an inability or unwillingness to contribute.
Meals on Wheels (MOW) Eastern Onondaga County, Kosher Meals on Wheels, Meals on Wheels of Syracuse, Inc., and North Area Meals on Wheels, contract with the Onondaga County Office for Aging to provide savory, nutritious meals, comprehensive in-home assessments, nutrition counseling and other services to eligible seniors who are unable to regularly prepare healthy meals for themselves.
Meals are delivered Monday through Friday by caring volunteers who check on clients each day. Participants overwhelming report a better sense of well-being and independence as a result. The Home Delivered Meals Program is a primary access point for other home and community-based services.
Home Delivered Meals provides much more than food; it provides a wholesome meal plus a safety check. The contact information is below, call the program that serves your area.
P.O. Box 72, Manlius, NY 13104
Serves: Bridgeport, DeWitt, East Syracuse,
Minoa, Fayetteville, Jamesville, Kirkville,
Manlius, Pompey, Tully/Lafayette Area.
315- 446-9111 ext. 256
4101 East Genesee St, Syracuse, NY 13214
Serves: those who require Kosher.
300 Burt St., Syracuse, NY 13202
Serves: City of Syracuse, Jordan/Elbridge,
Onondaga Nation, Nedrow, Skaneateles
413 Church Street, North Syracuse, NY 13212
Serves: Cicero & North Syracuse school
district; Brewerton, Town of Clay and
Town of Salina south of John Glenn Blvd. firstname.lastname@example.org
Other meals on wheels programs in Onondaga County provide meals on a private pay basis:
Baldwinsville Meals on Wheels
76 Canton St., Baldwinsville, NY 13027
Serves: Towns of Lysander and Van Buren,
Town of Salina north of John Glenn
ECHO Meals on Wheels West
4600 W. Genesee St., Syracuse, NY 13219
Serves: Camillus, Geddes, Marcellus,
Onondaga and Solvay